Olympic athletes all around the world inspire each and every one of us. Regardless of their outcome, whether they win or lose, everyone back home watching is in awe of their speed, both physical and mental strength, or even just the fact that they are there competing in the first place! They got picked out of all the others, as they shined through in the Olympic Trials, to represent their country.
What do you know (or not know) about these Olympic athletes? Through multiple sources, I found some very interesting facts to share with you all!
DID YOU KNOW:
1. Olympic athletes do NOT get paid full time for their training?
2. The US is one of three countries to NOT provide government funding for their Olympic program?
3. Some athletes, (ex. maybe top 16), get special funding from the national governing bodies of their respective sport?
4. Some star athletes can score high sponsorship or endorsement deals after wins?
5. A gold medal win could earn you $25,000?
6. Some Olympians train 6 days a week while others train every single day?
7. Olympians train 2-4 hours twice a day?
8. Athletes aim for 8-10 hours of sleep every night? (It is important after all!)
9. Athletes have side jobs such as waitressing, coaching, modeling, or working tech?
10. Time spent in the gym only contributes 18% of an Olympian’s success?
11. All Olympic sports except boxing a wrestling allow professional athletes to compete?
12. The US Basketball Olympic team is made up of NBA players called the “Dream Team?”
13. The last US-hosted summer Olympics were held in Atlanta in 1996?
14. For Rio 2016, the top three favorite sports to watch have been (in order): gymnastics, track and field, and swimming?
15. Golf and Rugby have been new additions to this year’s Olympic Games?